If You Find a Lost or Stray PetDOWNLOAD OUR TIPS
CHECK FOR FOUND PETS AT OUR SHELTER
Hillsborough County Pet Resource Center (HCPRC) is the county-designated shelter where stray animals should go to be held so their owners can find them. However, because they have changed their hours for public surrender, they allow us to accept and hold strays that people bring to us if we have cage space available. If those strays are not claimed they either go in to our adoption program or may be transferred to HCPRC, depending on our space. Please understand that our capacity for medium and large dogs is very limited.
If You Have Lost Your Pet
- Check your neighborhood thoroughly, whistling, calling, walking and driving to find them.
- Speak to neighbors and give a description of your pet to as many of them as possible.
- Check at school playgrounds, churches, parks, shopping centers and other areas where people gather.
- Check with all animal shelters in your county and leave a description of your pet with each.
- Make flyers with a photo of your pet and contact information and post where permitted.
- Advertise in local newspapers or on Craigslist. Also check the “Found Pet” ads in local papers and on websites.
- Leave an article of your clothing outside, pets sometimes come back when they smell the familiar scent.
- Don’t give up!
- Make Sure You Microchip! Permanently ID your pet with a microchip for only $15 at the Humane Society of Tampa Bay’s Animal Health Center. Tags and collars can fall off. A tiny microchip, inserted under the skin in the back of the neck ensures your contact information stays with your pet no matter what happens to the collar.
Lost Pet ResourcesThere are many web sites that can also help you post pictures & information about the pet you lost OR found.
- Found pets currently at Humane Society of Tampa Bay
- www.fidofinder.com for lost pets only
- www.flealess.org Flealess Market’s Lost Pets International
- Craig’s List Lost & Found
- Hillsborough County Pet Resource Center – search for lost pets with their online database
- *Pet Harbor’s Lost Pet On-line Database For best search results when using the Pet Harbor’s Lost Pet On-line Database select ONLY from the “Animal Type” descriptive selections. All of the other listed descriptive selections are subject to interpretation and/or mistaken identification errors. Animal Services updates the files hourly so check often if you are looking for your missing pet.