Would you like to join our team and help save lives?
Check out our different volunteer programs below to see which might be the right fit for you!
Join Our Long-Term Volunteer Team
This program provides a wide variety of opportunities and schedules for those who are interested in volunteering regularly for more than 6 months. All ages are welcome in this program, but volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Volunteers can earn hours for school or work through this program.
- Click the button below to access our online training system
- Click the Volunteer Program Overview course
- Click Enroll for Free to create your online account
- Watch the Volunteer Program Overview for more information on our program and to learn your next steps!
- Be willing to volunteer at least once a month for 6 or more months
- Complete new volunteer training program (mixture of online and in-person sessions that take approximately 4 hours to complete)
- All ages are welcome in this program, but those who are 15 or younger will need to volunteer with a parent or guardian at all times
- Intake Path – working in the medical areas of our shelter to assist our vets and vet techs
- Adoption Path – providing support to our adoption team as they help match our pets with the perfect family
- Animal Handling Path – working directly with our pets to provide daily needs, exercise and socialization
- Special Events Path – representing our organization throughout the community during our outreach and special events
- Humane Education Path – helping our local youth learn about our pets through our various humane education programs
Join Our Short-Term Volunteer Team
This program is ideal for anyone who only wants to volunteer once or for less than 6 months. The program is quick-start with minimal training required. This program is only open to volunteers who are 16 or older. Volunteers can earn hours for school or work through this program.
Simply click below to create an account and schedule your hours!
- Be at least 16 years of age
- May only sign up for ONE shift per time slot
- Must cancel ASAP if you are unable to fulfill your shift
- Two no-shows will make you ineligible to volunteer
- No sandals, flip-flops, tank or tube tops
- No revealing and/or offensive clothing
- Rubber soled, closed-toed shoes are recommended
- Clothes may be exposed to bleach, please dress accordingly
Fostering Saves Lives
If you are interested in caring for animals who are not quite ready for adoption, fostering might be for you! Foster parents care for animals in their own homes, providing a loving environment to young or injured animals. Foster parents must be 18 or older. Volunteers can earn hours for school or work through this program (check with your school to verify they accept foster hours).
Simply click below to submit a foster application! Once received, the Foster Care Coordinator will contact you to review your application
- Be at least 18 years of age. If you are under 18 you MUST have the application filled out by your parent or guardian.
- Have an extra room or space in your home to keep foster animals separate from your pets
FOSTER CARE COORDINATOR CONTACT
We welcome groups of up to 10 people to join us each morning to help us get our shelter and animals ready for the day. This program is open to corporate groups, school groups or local organizations. All members of a group must be 16 or older to participate. Volunteers can earn hours for school or work through this program.
Tuesday – Saturday
9 AM – 5 PM
- All group members must be 16 years of age or older
- Maximum group size is 10 people
- Group members must be willing and prepared to get wet or dirty and to interact with all types of animals
- All group members must arrive wearing close-toed shoes
- We have limited group shifts available each day
- Group shifts are available 7 days a week from 8:00 AM–11:00 AM
- Shifts are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis
Daily Tasks May Include:
- Socializing our shelter pets
- Light cleaning throughout the shelter
- Organizing storage areas
- Providing animal baths or other grooming
Join Our Teen Program
We offer a program for teen volunteers ages 12–15 that allows them to earn 20 hours for school while learning about our shelter, working with our animals and assisting with our various Humane Education programs. Volunteers in our teen program do not need to have a parent or guardian volunteer with them.
SIGN UP FOR THE NEXT SESSION
Ready to get started? Please click below to register for the next session, which begins on February 17th, 2021. Fifteen slots are available. The fee is $25.
- Open to students ages 12 through 15
- Parent or guardian is not required for this program
- Program consists of 8 weekly meetings
- Meetings are scheduled on Wednesdays from 5–7 PM
- We request a $25 program fee to cover supplies
- The Spring 2021 session meets on 2/17, 2/24, 3/3, 3/10, 3/24, 3/31, 4/7, 4/14, and 4/21.
Each weekly meeting includes an educational lesson and activity to highlight a different aspect of shelter animal care, including:
- Grooming and bathing
- Housing care and cleaning
- Animal enrichment activities
- Community engagement
Join Our Court Program
If you need to complete court-ordered community service hours or hours for a diversionary program, you can complete those through our court program. We offer daily morning and afternoon shifts through this program. Participants in this program must be 18 or older.
HOW TO GET STARTED
- Visit the Humane Society of Tampa Bay Tuesday through Saturday between 12 PM and 3 PM for open enrollment in the program
- Bring a copy of your charges and photo ID to the shelter and ask for Angel
- Create an account below. Once you have visited the shelter and we have verified your paperwork, you will be able to access the schedule
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Must be available for shifts that start at 7:30am on weekdays and 7am on weekends
- Must provide copy of your charges and a photo ID before starting