Many thanks to US 103.5 and Catfish for helping us get the word out about how FOSTERING SAVES LIVES! Every Friday between 10am and 3pm, Catfish will talk about our foster program on his broadcast and share pictures and video clips to help educate his fans. He recently stopped by the shelter to cuddle some fosterlings (pictured above) and learn all there is to know about the program!
WHAT IS FOSTERING?
In some cases, animals that are surrendered to the Humane Society of Tampa Bay (HSTB) are too young, too small or have health needs that make them unavailable for immediate adoption. In 1997, the HSTB decided to do something about this dilemma by introducing our Foster Care Program. Whenever feasible, these animals will be sent to temporary foster homes for nurturing, socialization and specialized care until they are ready for adoption. If we didn’t have foster homes, these animals may be euthanized. The more foster homes we have, the more lives can be saved.
WHO CAN BE A FOSTER PET PARENT?
- Anyone who cares about animals and is willing to donate their time and provide lots of tender loving care.
- Retirees, homemakers, people who work at home or have flexible work schedules all would be good candidates for this program.
- Must be over 18
- Must have an extra room or space in your home to keep foster animals separate from other pets
- Must make return visits to our shelter as required for your foster pets’ treatment and continued care
- Should have all personal pets up to date on all vaccinations and examinations
WHAT CAN A FOSTER PET PARENT EXPECT?
- Lots of hard work
- Even MORE love and reward
WHAT COSTS ARE INVOLVED?
Minimal- the Humane Society of Tampa Bay provides food, supplies and veterinary care through our shelter veterinarian
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION OR SIGN UP?
You can download a foster application HERE or contact our Foster Care Coordinator at 813-774-4346 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fostering in Action